Monday, December 31, 2012

Finished the home made filter hanger...

I decided today to go ahead and make a nicer home made filter hanger. It turned out nice.

Pretty simple.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

K&N Filter Fitted

This was a lot easier than I thought it would be, the kit from Japan comes with instructions for fitting this filter to a TW200, and it came with a little vice that you use with a small metal cylinder to punch a hole in the stock airbox boot for the breather tube.   It also came with a metal ring that you shove over the stock boot so the new filter has something to clamp to.  However, the one problem with adding cone filters like this to the TW200 is they tend to sag over time.  So, I had an idea, and I mocked it up with part of an aluminum can from some tomatoes.

Can you see it?

Friday, December 28, 2012

Some major progress on the black skeleton...

I would say I have a weekend of good work left on it, but I should have the assembly 99% done by the end of 2012, with only minor tweaking to do into 2013.  The blacking out of the frame, the longer swing-arm, the road tires on black wheels, and the overall changes to the front end make the bike look basically nothing like a stock TW200.  Its pretty amazing to see it all come together.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Really cool stock color combo

I ran across these photos of a 1989 (iirc) TW200 in red and black.  I've never seen one with this color combo, and I think it looks pretty sweet.  Don't get me wrong, I think the TW200 is a nice looking bike in its stock configuration, but I don't really care for white and blue, etc.  So I think this is pretty cool.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

TW Tires!

Got my tires mounted, they look great.

Bridgestone TW-204

Thursday, December 20, 2012

David...Smell The Glove is here.

All my parts back from powder-coating (minus the exhaust tube) and my painted tank.
"How much more black could this be? And the answer is: none....none more black."

Wednesday, December 19, 2012


Got some parts back from the powder-coater today. Everything is done except the ceramic coating on my exhaust pipe, which might take several weeks to complete due to lack of parts that need this expensive coating (says the powder-coater).  Which is ok, since the bike will not be done for another 2 weeks at least. I am still waiting for my new seals and bearings, and my tires to come in. I also need to pick up some new folk oil, motor oil and a new oil filter from the local shop here to get everything back together.  But for now, here is a view of the wheels! They look phenominal.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Paint Success!!!

Got all my parts that needed painting done and ready for install.  The matte black came out perfect. Exactly the right color.  I am very happy with how everything turned out! The best part is, this is the first time I have ever painted anything with real automotive paint and I had very few issues. I will never use rattle can again!

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Made some more good progress today...

Got the gas tank ready today. First thing, was to cut off those useless tabs for holding on ugly plastic crap. One thing I never understood is why most of the customized TW200s I see never had these tabs removed, they just leave them on there, and in my opinion, they need to go.  A quick zip of the cutoff wheel and you are free of the ugly tabs.  Then just clean up the edges a little with a grinder. Done.

I got the edge pretty straight. Straight enough that you will not notice.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

It gets serious...

The tear down is complete. It took about 4 hours from start to finish, and was actually way easier than I anticipated. I still have a few things to sort out before I take parts in for powder-coating, but if things keep moving at this pace, I should have the bike done in a few weeks. I still need to order tires and a new battery, and I still need to sort out how I am going to hide the new battery and associated wiring.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Some more test fitting...

So, with nearly everything I need parts wise, it is almost time to tear the bike down for powder-coating and paint. First though, I decided to test fit the parts that are easy to throw on, just to see how things look and to begin to figure out which mounting tabs will get eliminated with the grinder.

First thing was to pull the headlight, turn signals and the mounting bracket off the front end and fit the headlight stay.

A few more parts came in yesterday...

After my first load of parts, I realized I was going to need a few more things. Here is what I got.

This is a Luke Headlight Stay. It is really nicely constructed out of light aluminum. It will get powder coated as well.

Back from Japan, Tdub round up...

So I spent three weeks in Japan, and while there, it was only natural for me to check every alley, every bike lot, every parking spot, for TWs. After all, it was going to Japan in 2010 that got me started with the whole TW200 custom business, so now it was time to go back and geek out.
I got lucky here, finding this blacked out TW in Shinjuku at night, in a position where I could actually photograph it.